Home is the most important because that is where we live with our loved ones. It is also a place where we store all our valuables and things that are important and memorable for us. So it makes sense to give top priority for the security of our home over everything else. There are some basics which if we learn and follow, can make home a safe haven for people and everything inside it.
1. Lock all the entry points: This is something which most people forget or just ignore thinking it is okay but you never know who is keeping an eye on your home and waiting for the right opportunity. Every time you step outside for a couple of hours or even few minutes, you got to make sure that you have secured all entry points. Make this a mandatory habit even when you go to sleep at night or midday when you are tired or something.
2. Bright outdoor lights: Whether it is your backyard or front side, make sure to install some bright lights outside that weakens a burglar’s chance to make an entry to your premises. You can even think about thermal sensor lights where flashlights turn on the moment it senses some activity at a specific distance from your home. These lights act like a scarecrow for burglars and thieves that will make them avoid thinking about your home as their next assignment. Here is how you can install outdoor security lights.
3. Social media update: Avoid posting your vacation getaway on social media and especially for how long you are gone away from home. This will give burglars the scope to plan their heist on your home and they know how much time they have. So keep such information private and if you really want to tell someone about it, just call and inform but do not post it anywhere on the internet. It is also safe to keep the location status turned off on all your devices and advise the same to your fellow travelers too. Stop sharing your vacation photos while you are still on it as you can wait till you come back home and upload them.
4. CCTV cameras: This is a very basic security measure and it does not cost much to have a complete automated security system these days. There are plenty of options including automated alert system that sends a notification to 911 or local police once it triggers the sensors recording unusual activities around them.
5. Verify credentials: This is applicable for those pizza deliveries and courier and you must always ask for an ID or receipt that can verify the credentials of the delivery person. Burglars can disguise as anyone so better to be sure about what to expect and what not in the delivery. If you are a woman living alone at the time when a delivery comes in, better to verify before you open the door.
6. Do not leave traces: When you buy something really expensive like a new big screen television or something more valuable, try to discard the traces such as packaging box that will most probably display the product inside it and any receipts or invoices. Should a burglar notice something like that on your premises, you are more likely giving him a hint about your financial status.
Following these basic home security tips will help you avoid becoming a victim of theft or even worse.